View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
OldGuy
Base Member

Drives: '09370Z Red Base A7
OldGuy has a spectacular aura aboutOldGuy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavidw View Post
I just bought a brilliant silver 7 speed base model with sports package from Lou Fusz in Saint Louis. Lou is great; he picked me up from the airport personally and made the whole buying experience very pleasant. The car is also great! I am very happy with it – with one exception. I only test drove models with the touring package. I didn’t like any of the stock leather colors so I planed to reupholster the seats with Katzkins. I am also going to install an aftermarket audio system with GPS so didn’t see the point in upgrading things that were going to be thrown out anyway. The money saved by not opting for the touring package will easily cover the upgrades.

The base seats are a joke. Its almost like they are some kind of movie prop – it looks like a seat, but don’t try to sit in it. As soon as I sat down I could feel the metal rails against the sides of my legs. I am not big guy, maybe these seats just don’t fit me well. I had an S2000 and those seats are fantastic. After driving 810 miles back home my butt and back are a mess. I ended up sitting on my jacket to try to make it a little better. As soon as I got home I went to a fabric shop and bought a pair of poly pads that are typically used in patio furniture seat cushions. I removed my 370Z seats and added the new pads between the springs and the cushion and put the seats back in. It seems much better with the new pad in. I am going to wait until my *** feels better before I decide to move forward with the Katzkins or to look for some replacment seats.
I also bought a base Z and had exactly the same problem as you. I even went to the chiropractor, who checked me to be sure nothing had been bruised or hurt. I had him sit in the car to analyze the problem. He said the padding was very thin and the metal was pressing against my hip bone. He suggested either extra padding or buying a Lexus. I opted to tke some time to try to get used to the seats and after a month or so, the problem seemed to go away. I had been bothered only on the left hip side for some reason. So now, when I get in the car I scootch over to the right just a bit and I don't seem to have any problem---but I was panicked for fear of having to sell this virtually new car at a large loss. I didn't like for the touring leather as much as the Katzkin offering, didn't need the power seats as I'm the car's only driver, didn't need them heated as I garage the car in winter and didn't care about the better sound system and other electronica on Touring because I don't know how to use it. I now have the black leather Katzkins installed and love the gorgeous red/black perforated insert portion of the seats. I fashioned a personalized logo for the headrest and am thrilled---actually it's sharper than Nissan's offering. So give it a little time. The base seats are quite modest. They should do better on a car this expensive. But I think your body will eventually adjust. I'm taking a 4 1/2 hour trip over Memorial Day and don't anticipate a problem. And don't feel badly about not doing your homework---I test drove 3 base Z's before buying and detected no problem with the seat during any of those test drives. Good luck.
OldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote