View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #53 (permalink)
TBSS2008
Base Member

Drives: 11 Corvette GS 6spd
TBSS2008 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by toner123 View Post
My oil is right between the 2 holes in the dipstick. I put on a thousand miles since my last oil change so according to my owners manual it is good, although after i got my oil changed i don't know how high on the dip stick it was. So I guess I'll just watch it but I do't think its anything for me to worry about. Hell I hit my 3 month mark next month around this time so I wont get the full milage out of it. I have 7400 miles on my car i think if it was burning i would have known it by now. If anyone knows where on the dip stick the oils is around after a change let me know please.
I have a little more then 25k on my Z and it definitely consumes oil. (I did do the proper engine break in suggested by the manual). I drive pretty aggressive, a lot of highway driving with a little city mix, and a few runs at the drag strip. I get my oil changes every 3500 miles with the ester oil at the dealership, on a Cold Engine Oil should be all the way up to the top hole. After 1500 miles of driving when I check my oil is half way between top and bottom hole (Cold Engine Oil Check). I will put in 1/2 quart at this point which for me is like once a month; yeah I drive at least 1500 miles a month.

Cold Engine (Oil Check): Oil should be all the way up to the top hole
Warm Engine (Oil Check): Oil should be at the half way between top and bottom hole.

I think 1qt every 3000 miles is way too much oil to consume but it's not grounds for a new engine. And the fact that it is consistently consuming 1qt every 3k and has not changed since I bought the car is I guess a good thing, not getting any worse but isn't getting any better either.

Oh well I love the car and have 5qts of Nissan Ester at the house to keep the oil levels in check.

2009 370Z Black 7AT Touring Sport (TRADED)
TBSS2008 is offline   Reply With Quote