View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #182 (permalink)
ResIpsa
Track Member

Drives: 09 RACING HEN
ResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond reputeResIpsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hallelujah!

It worked!

No Ice Mode!

I was at the Summit Point Main Circuit on Friday and my Z withstood multiple stops from 125 mph without ice mode occurring on any of my four track sessions. The weather was hot and sticky with the track rapidly heating up as the day went on.

If you remember, I was at S.P.M a couple of weeks ago and encountered ice mode on three occasions in cool weather.

The difference was:

1. I switched from Porterfield R4 brake compounds to CarboTech XP10 in front and XP8 in rear (which I think helped but other members have experienced ice mode with CarboTech pads). Don't get me wrong, these pads are the best I have ever used, anyone want to buy a set of Porterfields? One more thing...YOU NEED CARBOTECH PADS! However, I suspect ice mode is more related to heat then pad failure.

2. Castrol SRF brake fluid. This stuff is $80 per liter. That was not a misprint! It has a insanely high wet boiling point.

3. Brake cooling ducts. I suspect this is what really solved the ice mode problem. My ducts are based on ModShack's forced air fang ducts. Using that as a staring point, you need to remove all the side radiator baffling to route the tubing and cut material away from the plastic wheel well covers to rout the 2.5 inch brake hose. On the passenger side this required dremel tooling a portion of the coolant/washer fluid support bracket. Zip tie the end of the tubing to the lower portion of the shock absorber pointing at the caliper. Now bolt up your wheels and check for rubbing. If you have rubbing simply take your foot and push on the tubing to flatten it out.

In conclusion, whatever created the ice mode problem was probably a result of the heat caused by a total lack of air flow to the inside of the wheels. Fix that issue and I believe its problem solved.