View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #50 (permalink)
antennahead
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '07 Z4 "M" Roadster
antennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilent_jay View Post
My engine was replaced at 17k... massive oil consumption. I didn't put the first 100-200 miles on the car originally, which are the most important, so I'm not sure how the initial break-in was done. (could have been test drove and beat to hell on a cold engine, and also could have been kept at steady RPM on a 100mile trip to the dealership by whoever delivered it). The new engine had 12 miles on it after the dealership was done with the swap... so I got to break the new engine in my way.

I've talked to several local people who know of others having the same issues though. This is definitely not isolated... and nobody is blowing anything out of proportion. Having your engine replaced because it's drinking oil like it's going out of style is NOT a fun thing to have happen on a brand new car.

All I know is if the new engine starts to develop an appetite for oil - I'll let it be the problem for someone else and find a new car. There would be no love lost.

"and also could have been kept at steady RPM on a 100mile trip to the dealership by whoever delivered it"

I think this was the problem with my 2006 OC 350. The dealer had to find the car I wanted in another state, and they drove it 450 miles to my dealership........ most likely all at one RPM and highway speed. Who knows, there are so many theories about the cause of this. I wish you the best with the new engine, I've been there and it's no fun. My 370 had 28 miles on it when I took delivery, so I too was able to break it in. So far so good, but I only have 12,800 miles on it right now. Time will tell.