View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ryephile
Base Member

Drives: '02 Cooper S
Ryephile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Z View Post
So would intake, headers, and exhaust be deal breakers?? Taking them on and off is not the issue, but it would be nice if they can be kept on.
"It depends"

It's virtually impossible to give a concrete answer you can count on. If you dealership is "mod friendly" and understands that knowing how highly tuned the VQ37 engine is, adding an exhaust and air filter aren't likely to cause significantly more drivetrain stress, then they'd be likely to not give you any hassle for most warranty claims. Like I mentioned in my other post, if you mod the car and then break something in the drivetrain, it's almost always going to be on your dime.

AK370Z brought up a good topic: removing mods when going to the dealer. Yes I agree it reduces the headache of an unfriendly dealership, however you do have to live with that moral decision of defrauding the dealer and Nissan if indeed your aftermarket parts caused a failure. If the aftermarket bits aren't related to the failure, but the dealership is still a PITA, then it will simpler to remove them not raise any questions for unrelated components. This second situation isn't defrauding anyone, but it is keeping dumb people from hyper-actively voiding an otherwise valid claim.

My advice with new cars and unknown limits is this: break-in the car, do some track days or auto-x and generally run it through the wringer in stock form. If there were defective factory parts they'll almost always show up during this several thousand mile "shakedown" period. Once you've determined your car is solid, then you can change out parts with reasonable knowledge you don't have a weak factory fuse somewhere. If then you start breaking parts, it'll probably not be within the warranty...and you'll know that.