View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
antennahead
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '07 Z4 "M" Roadster
antennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwicker7 View Post
This is technically not an audio question, but I think it needs an audio expert to solve (read on, you'll understand why).

A lot of people have been getting either a rattle or resonance in their dashboard. It seems to come from around the center area near the instrument cluster. The rattle/resonance occurs around 2.5-3k rpm and seems to be much worse under load. It also gets worse with aftermarket exhausts (makes sense, as they are much louder).

I've tried every normal route including the dealership; they said it was a faulty instrument cluster, but the new (supposedly non-faulty) cluster didn't change anything. The only thing I can think of is to ask you audio experts what you do when your hi-decibel audio systems cause similar problems. I'm sure Dynomat would probably help, but how do you normally go about determining which part is causing the problem?

For the record, I'm guessing this is a resonance issue, as it seems rattling would be more spread out across various rpm levels.
I have had a weird resonance issue from somewhere around the middle of the dash, sounds like it's behind the cubby area, that occurs ONLY on strange road surfaces .......... like the extremely grated ones that are designed to make you drive very slowly, like miniture speed bumps one after the other. This will make that resonance go crazy and very loud. Other than that type of surface, I can't duplicate it.