View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #527 (permalink)
Xan
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 40th Aniversary
Xan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond reputeXan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyGT View Post
So I see a bunch of roots style SC's that have no choice but to run water and this is the definitive proof thats its the be all, end all? Cmon...

Also, all those side mounted cars still have air directed to them and while technically on the side, are still very much in the FRONT. Lets not forget Evo's, SRT4s, 335i, what else...

The way you guys are debating this crap is the same way I can argue that with your 'better' cooling, comes more points of failure due to the pump, AMIRIGHT?!?! LOL - lets just call it even and stop the QQ'n.

*posted via mobile*
I wasn't going to get into any discussion, but you seem to be basing your statements on only a small portion of the information. So I feel compiled to (re)point out a couple of things

In an earlier post (copied from my post in the GTM thread) I wrote down some of the benefits for air to water. I wrote them from a neutral standpoint and I didn't see anybody not agreeing with those benefits, not even in the GTM thread.

I'll also repeat what I said in the other thread about reliability
Quote:
You two are right on, with that being the real benefit of the air to air, less moving parts is less chance of something breaking.
One thing to keep in mind though is although annoying if the air to water cooler system would break, you won't blow your engine right away. Additionally almost every car now a days has water cooling for the engine, so the principle is pretty tried and tested.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about the charge air cooling method for system reliability.
There are more important items, such as a quality charger, a good pulley set up (stable and belt wrap), a good integration into the car as to not restrict other components functions and many others. In the end I’m sure both systems will proof to be reliable systems as they both seem to have covered their basis.
Also the statement was not that is wasn't mounted in the front of the car, but that it wasn't mounted in front of other key components, such as the engine radiator. With the result of having heated air from the intercooler going into the radiator. (I highlighted this same point in my earlier post)

Although the air to water system is pretty tried and proven.
I want to add one personal opinion about the "stick to what is tried and proven".
If everybody thought that way we would still live in the stone ages and would never see any innovations...