View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 02:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dan37TZ
Base Member

Drives: A Red Nissan
Dan37TZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailua View Post
Uh, Ok.

I don't know how this is a fail, considering the GTI with APR flash has more usable torque than the Z and for my daily driving needs, torque is actually more important than hp.

Plus, the whole point of a V8 over V6 is not having to redline your vehicle to extract all the hp and torque.

So wishing that Nissan would offer the new M56 V8 in a Z while I own a GTI is fail?

By your logic then, I guess anyone who owns a 370Z and longs for a GTR, R8, or 911 Turbo would be epic fail since the 370Z is a "wimpy rwd".

You remind me of fanboys who have to crap on anything that isn't a (insert your current fanboy ride).

Horsepower IS the calculation of TORQUE at a certain RPM. So in reality, horsepower numbers is what you really want to look at, how it's delivered, and how the gearing of the car puts the power to use. Gearing and horsepower curve is what you want to look at.

Also you mention you love motors that make lots of torque down low, yet you pick a front wheel drive car. I've owned high powered FWD cars and lots of low end torque in a wrong wheel drive car is MAJOR fail, traction issues, wheel hop, torque steer, a nightmare. A low flat torque curve in a motor that loves to rev for high rpm power is the way to go for FWD cars. That's why Honda > VW all day long when it comes to FWD performance (oxymoron) oriented cars.

My modded JB3 335i makes 400+ft lbs of torque at 2500rpm. Is it fast? HELL YES. Is it fun to drive like the Z? Not even close, I think sports cars should be revved out for power. Shoving a huge V8 that makes huge amounts of torque down low and runs out of steam right when you want to rev it out into a pure sports car like the Z is retarded. If anything, a low torque, short stroke high revving small displacement V8 (like 4.0L V8 in the E90/92 M3 would be amazing for the Z) It only makes 295ft lb of torque yet it revs to 8300 and is amazing.