View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
shabarivas
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370z MB 6mt
shabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond reputeshabarivas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZed34 View Post
Hey everyone,
I know there's a bunch of threads already started about the noises that the rear axles are making when the car starts from a complete stop, but I really think us as owners need to report these things direct to Nissan USA. If Nissan doesnt know these problem exist, then they can't fix them either. At the moment, there is no recall or bulletin for the problem, but I really think there's a design issue here. From what I can tell, the main reason for the noise is simply because there's play or slop in the axle splines causing a clunk when power is applied to the drivetrain (the axles specifically)... so it's obviously not a tight fit. So the dealers solution is just to remove the axles and put grease on the splines and re-assemble. Now to me, that's not a permanent fix, just a temporary solution to "hide" the noise. Think about it, eventually the grease is either going to wear down or sqeeze out and we will be back to square one. Also, how long are these axles going to last if the splines aren't tight? Premature wear and/or failure? This precedure was also done on previous 350z's, but I think its BS! You think Nissan would have figured it out by now. So here I am with a brand new 2009 Z with only 1,800 miles on it and I have to rip apart the whole rear end and do something that's not really even a fix. I hear this problem is also quite common with the new G37's as well. Nissan really needs to either re-engineer the axles and send out replacements or revamp the entire rear drivetrain assembly. I dont know. Does anyone agree?

So guys, if your experiencing this problem, please dont consider it "normal". It's not! I can go out and buy a cheap Kia for $10,000 and not hear any axles clicking or clunking, ya know?

So please report your issues to Nissan USA...

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin TN 37068-5003
(800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.,
Eastern / Central Time / Pacific Time
Monday through Friday

Thanks!

Is it just me or are a bunch of sports car newbs suddenly buying evo Xs and Zs? The clunk usually means you need to get your rear axle greased - this is covered under warranty @ your local nissan dealer... no need to call consumer affairs - these cars already sell as well as they are going to... and honestly - nissan may loose 2-3% of its customers to the Z if they didnt give an eff about fixing the clunk (they know ppl will buy the car no matter what)... so if i was nissan... i would be more worried about my next set of cars etc etc...

Like I have said before: its a sports car... it will make noise, it will clunk, and it will need attention from the owner a lot more than a corolla... it will also corner at 1g and get to 60 in 5... there is a price you pay for those things... and part of that price is a noisy cabin / clutch and axle..
shabarivas is offline   Reply With Quote