View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
RedZed34
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z SR Sport Pkg
RedZed34 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang View Post
Is this your first car?

Drive line "clunk" on RWD cars is pretty normal... There's always some play between the components. When you apply power the drive train loads (from front to rear, obviously), and as it does you may hear a clunk from the rear end... The same thing happens if you pull out of the throttle rather quickly in a high gear.

This is the reason why, when at the drag strip, experienced drivers tell you to "load" the drive train up when you stage so you don't shock the rear end on launch.
No I've had other cars before this, just recently traded in my WRX for the Z. But yes, its my first RWD car. And yes, your right there is going to be some play in the components, but it should be minimal. The clunk that I'm experiencing isn't just a faint clunk. Its quite loud. The techs at my local dealership heard it across the parking lot as I moved the car to go park it. They even said it sounded pretty bad to them. Plus, I have friends with other RWD and AWD cars and I dont hear any noises like this coming from their cars.

So question for everyone that says it's "normal" is... Why does my dealership feel the need to work on my car then? I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here. Its just obvious to me that something isnt right... otherwise the dealership wouldn't take the time do something about it nor would they admit themselves that it doesnt sound good to them.
RedZed34 is offline   Reply With Quote