Thread: iPad in Z?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
labk888
Base Member

Drives: '10 370Z PW 6MT T&S
labk888 has a reputation beyond reputelabk888 has a reputation beyond reputelabk888 has a reputation beyond reputelabk888 has a reputation beyond reputelabk888 has a reputation beyond reputelabk888 has a reputation beyond reputelabk888 has a reputation beyond reputelabk888 has a reputation beyond reputelabk888 has a reputation beyond reputelabk888 has a reputation beyond reputelabk888 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a custom built carPC is definitely a valid option to consider. I think it is a little naive to think that everyone who is considering the ipad is a brainwashed hipster.

I think it comes down to what meets peoples needs. Take me for example, I could easily build a custom carPC and install it. On top of that I could easily write my own custom front end, visualizers or any other software I want for it as well. Just because I can do that doesn't mean I want to or need to.

I need a device that can meet the following needs. The iPad does all
of the following good enough.

Uses a very nice touch screen.
Boots up fast
Can play audio and video easily
Can access Internet to check work emails through exhange
Has GPS navigation capabilities.
Does not require a lot of my time to keep
running
Has a known interface that my passengers know how to use
Allows me to program for if I want to

Features I don't care about

Satellite radio
DVD playback (physical media is on it's way out)

I don't think anyone is saying that the iPad is the ultimate car media solution and all others suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet48 View Post
iPad is so much fail it's not even funny. I really don't want to vent too much BUT, the fact that you can even remotely compare it to a 7 year old product speaks wonders.

Take my 12" Eee PC with NVIDIA ION graphic with win7 and add a REAL ssd, like a m series g2 with TRIM and now you're talking. At least you will get USB ports (and HDMI) and can run any software you like. People will install iPads because they are simple and/or because they are brainwashed hipsters. I'm going to do a double screen mount and build a car pc. I've built many custom gaming PC's for thousands less than retail. I've even priced out a system from < $1500 that would blow both the factory nav and the iFail out of the water (with Xonar DX2 sound too). Oh and you can upgrade it too and remove the battery if there's ever a problem!