View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #76 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

You can input timing adjustments, but they don't go anywhere. The ECU just overrides the inputs with its own timing parameters. AFR is the only thing that takes. My understanding from Sharif (who has spoken about this directly with Uprev) is that our ECUs automatically add as much timing as is safely possible straight from the factory, so there's little to be gained via timing adjustments anyway. Not sure if I believe it 100%. But what do I know? I'm no expert when it comes to ECU tuning.

Edit: A clarification re. timing. What I've been told is that there's a max threshold to the timing. Try to dial in timing past that threshold and the ECU will just ignore your inputs. However, if your ECU is for whatever reason running timing well below that threshold and you use Uprev to advance it up to the threshold, those inputs will take. They will take because they're still within the factory max threshold. That's why we've seen such inconsistency with some folks (like me and RCZ) getting hardly any gain (I only got +6whp and RCZ got even less if I remember correctly), while others make a lot more. The results vary depending on each vehicle's starting point in terms of where the timing is.

Last edited by semtex; 04-26-2010 at 05:54 PM.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote