View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
The BlueMax
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370/97 T/A 01 ZRX
The BlueMax has a reputation beyond reputeThe BlueMax has a reputation beyond reputeThe BlueMax has a reputation beyond reputeThe BlueMax has a reputation beyond reputeThe BlueMax has a reputation beyond reputeThe BlueMax has a reputation beyond reputeThe BlueMax has a reputation beyond reputeThe BlueMax has a reputation beyond reputeThe BlueMax has a reputation beyond reputeThe BlueMax has a reputation beyond reputeThe BlueMax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
true. the only one you should be wary of is auto trans fluid. my family has been in the auto repair business for generations, and we have seen many a problem develop as a result of changing auto trans fluid. many people has the misconception that they need to change it at specific intervals, when actually you can go the life of the vehicle on the same fluid. auto trans flushes the similar effect as engine oil flushes, they remove sedentary particles and cause them to move into places they don't belong!

the only reason to change it is if it is dirty or to change the filter. but... if a trans filter gets dirty, the chances are very high that the car has a trans problem, or it would have gotten dirty in the first place.

renewing fluids is a good maintenance habit for sure though
I used to flush my transmission fluid every 25-30,000 miles because it was known to break down a bit, never had to have a trans. rebuilt. Some of the BMW trans. are sealed for life, the only recourse is total replacement. I'm getting Amsol synthetic fluid for my T56 in the Trans Am this summer, I have about 45,000 miles and the mechanics say about 60,000, I'm doing it a little early. Put the same in my 83 Z28 T5 and it shifted great, both of these manuals used ATF.
The BlueMax is offline   Reply With Quote