View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #66 (permalink)
Forrest
Track Member

Drives: 09 370z Blk 6mt sprt
Forrest has a reputation beyond reputeForrest has a reputation beyond reputeForrest has a reputation beyond reputeForrest has a reputation beyond reputeForrest has a reputation beyond reputeForrest has a reputation beyond reputeForrest has a reputation beyond reputeForrest has a reputation beyond reputeForrest has a reputation beyond reputeForrest has a reputation beyond reputeForrest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
Actually, I *might* already be making 400 hp at the flywheel. Don't forget that right before I did my first dyno, bullitt5897 dyno'd his bone stock 370Z on the exact same DD dyno, and he pulled 254whp. So assuming he has the stock 332hp at the flywheel (i.e., he didn't get a factory dud), getting 254whp on that dyno means we have a whopping 23.5% drivetrain loss on that particular dyno. In order to back-convert 254 to get 332, you have to multiply 254 by 1.307. So...if we apply that muliplier to the 306.4whp I got on that very same dyno yesterday, the math comes out to 400.46 hp at the flywheel!

But don't get too excited. As far as I'm concerned, these calculations make for some interesting conjecture, just some food for thought, nothing more. If someone were to ask me to estimate how much I'm making at the crank, I wouldn't actually feel comfortable telling them 400. I'd rather give a conservative estimate based on, say, 17% drivetrain loss. That'd work out to 369 hp at the flywheel.

Edit: I just realized that I'm being too conservative. If I'm only making 369 at the flywheel, then that means I've only gained 37 hp at the flywheel (from the stock 332). But there's just no way I've only gained 37 hp at the crank, not when I've already gained more than that at the wheels. That's when I remembered that the 17% rule of thumb is for DynoJet numbers, so I shouldn't be applying it to my Dyno Dynamics results. If I do the math against my DynoJet pull of 321.3 whp, it comes out to 387.1 hp at the flywheel. In all honesty, that's probably a lot more realistic, given my results at the wheels thus far.
By my ricer math and yours. the baseline for the other z was 254.2hp wich is a 23% loss from 332 on that dyno to the wheels. If i take 398x23% you get 306.46 Thats what i think your making at the engine/flywheel what ever its called. wich is VERY IMPRESSIVE!
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote