View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
chibbell
Base Member

Drives: 370z Touring Sport
chibbell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticreaver View Post
i got touring without navi but with bose as well. i'm going to wait it out. the car is too new. hopefully a good 6 months down the road, there will be something that is good and affordable.
I'm not particularly known for my patience. Once I have a wild hair about something it's hard to drop it. Is there anything out there for the 350 that was built for similar needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKYStormFront
your best route is probably to get a handheld unit (or possibly investigate getting a nav system through your cell phone provider if your phone is capable of this). or going ahead and replacing the head unit all together with a good aftermarket double DIN dvd/nav system. i have the pioneer avic-d3 and i love it. i've got it bypassed (VERY easy to do) so it will play dvd's anytime and the user interface is top notch. although it's not made anymore the replacements are pretty nifty too and most come with bluetooth built in, some with voice commands for hands free use. if you would like to investigate this route, check out avic411.com, that's a good forum for avic users, lots of info there

edit: you may be hesitant to replace your stock head unit so quickly after buying a new car but trust me, it will sound better than stock (when hooked up the right way, lemme know if you decide to go this way and i'll try to do what i can to help and get info on that) and be worth the upgrade, also it doesn't have to stay with the car if you decide to get another one a few years down the road so you can always keep the stock bose unit to put back in it. i've got my crappy single disc player that came in my truckup in the attic, it only stayed in my dash for 3 days while i waited on my dash kit to come in from crutchfield
You're right. I am pretty hesitant to go with a new unit with such a new car. I'm honestly pretty happy with the bluetooth sycnh and the sound out of the factory BOSE system. I also like how clean and integrated everything looks. I can't really justify (especially to the wife) that we should put more dollars into it when we opted for the Touring (though we did seek out a base, there were none with the Sports Package in the area).

I'm heavily leaning towards a portable nav with a custom cradle in the storage area. Still...I would love me some DVD. Of course now we buy everything in Blue Ray.
chibbell is offline   Reply With Quote