View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
HKYStormFront
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 06 Frontier SE 6spd
HKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond reputeHKYStormFront has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to HKYStormFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibbell View Post
Thanks for the info SMcK23. Sounds like you maybe had a crummy dealer who didn't know what they were doing.

The more I think about it, the more I think a portable unit will fit my needs. Easier to update. Easier to replace. Cheaper to install. More options when it comes to the storage area.

Now to decide on which unit. I like the Navigon's UI but don't want to buy a crappy unit just because it's pretty. Trying to find decent reviews of various units is hard. CNet's are all pretty old.
your best route is probably to get a handheld unit (or possibly investigate getting a nav system through your cell phone provider if your phone is capable of this). or going ahead and replacing the head unit all together with a good aftermarket double DIN dvd/nav system. i have the pioneer avic-d3 and i love it. i've got it bypassed (VERY easy to do) so it will play dvd's anytime and the user interface is top notch. although it's not made anymore the replacements are pretty nifty too and most come with bluetooth built in, some with voice commands for hands free use. if you would like to investigate this route, check out avic411.com, that's a good forum for avic users, lots of info there

edit: you may be hesitant to replace your stock head unit so quickly after buying a new car but trust me, it will sound better than stock (when hooked up the right way, lemme know if you decide to go this way and i'll try to do what i can to help and get info on that) and be worth the upgrade, also it doesn't have to stay with the car if you decide to get another one a few years down the road so you can always keep the stock bose unit to put back in it. i've got my crappy single disc player that came in my truckup in the attic, it only stayed in my dash for 3 days while i waited on my dash kit to come in from crutchfield

Last edited by HKYStormFront; 04-02-2009 at 12:43 PM.
HKYStormFront is offline   Reply With Quote