Thread: Fi - diy
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
2fast4thelaw
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z Sport/MT6
2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough

I was 16 years old when my dad and I rebuilt the 350 in his 71 Chevy truck. When I was 17 my first car was an 83 Mustang 5.0 GT and I rebuilt the engine in it from its measly stock 175 Hp to 375 Hp.

I have replaced numerous clutches, transmissions, rear-ends, and other engine swaps. Plus I know how to machine parts and tools as I have my own machine shop.

About 12 years ago my brother bought a 1990 RX-7 but the engine was trashed. We found a Turbo engine from a wrecked 91 RX-7 and we stripped the engine down and rebuilt the block and we did the Turbo conversion. That was by far the most challenging project as we had to swap ECU's and wiring harnesses between them. It was a project I would never, ever take on again, but we get it up and running. Back then there were no kits with nice DVD instructions to do turbo conversions plus we used what we could find to make it work. We couldn’t use the stock IC because it was trashed so we mounted a universal IC up front of the radiator and re-piped everything. That was the hardest part of the project because I had to fabricate most of the parts and brackets myself.

Putting a supercharger in the 370Z should be cake walk in comparison the RX-7 turbo conversion! I am confident that my brother and I could easily do it in a weekend.