View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #74 (permalink)
chubbs
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2016 370z Auto-Grey
chubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond reputechubbs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
From what I've seen and read about the engine design the oil is continuously passively cooled by the water coolant circulating in the engine block. There is nothing electronic that controls this, just the in-line oil temp gauge that seems to read moderately accurately. The added feature that was missing from the 350's is the new limp mode that tries to slow you down by limiting RPM when the oil temperature gets too high.

I'm not a mechanical engineer and so not an expert (just have an engineering background).
I know that the oil is cooled in that way and not 'electronically'. With respect, that has nothing to do with my question. I want to know if it's possible that an electrical component or thermostat is malfunctioning (possibly just by cutting in too soon, or reading a temp wrongly?) on some cars and the oil temp is in fact within limits, if a little on the high side. If this were the case, it would be a simple fix.

Also (and this is a bit of a side issue), how do you know that the oil temp guage is reading 'moderately accurately'? Without wishing to appear rude, isn't this an act of faith on your part, or do you have proof?

...ps Alan, I get some of my best thoughts in the shower - don't you?

'03 Grey >>> '06 Black >>>'10 Silver >>> '16 Grey ^