View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #62 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by drisko View Post
THIS IS INSANE!!!! That means (assuming a 15% drivetrain loss) the car is putting out about 380 hp at the flywheel!! And that is without a tune or headers. So, I definitely think 400 flywheel hp is attainable now. Before, I thought it would take some heavy-duty mods to pull that off.
Actually, I *might* already be making 400 hp at the flywheel. Don't forget that right before I did my first dyno, bullitt5897 dyno'd his bone stock 370Z on the exact same DD dyno, and he pulled 254whp. So assuming he has the stock 332hp at the flywheel (i.e., he didn't get a factory dud), getting 254whp on that dyno means we have a whopping 23.5% drivetrain loss on that particular dyno. In order to back-convert 254 to get 332, you have to multiply 254 by 1.307. So...if we apply that muliplier to the 306.4whp I got on that very same dyno yesterday, the math comes out to 400.46 hp at the flywheel!

But don't get too excited. As far as I'm concerned, these calculations make for some interesting conjecture, just some food for thought, nothing more. If someone were to ask me to estimate how much I'm making at the crank, I wouldn't actually feel comfortable telling them 400. I'd rather give a conservative estimate based on, say, 17% drivetrain loss. That'd work out to 369 hp at the flywheel.

Edit: I just realized that I'm being too conservative. If I'm only making 369 at the flywheel, then that means I've only gained 37 hp at the flywheel (from the stock 332). But there's just no way I've only gained 37 hp at the crank, not when I've already gained more than that at the wheels. That's when I remembered that the 17% rule of thumb is for DynoJet numbers, so I shouldn't be applying it to my Dyno Dynamics results. If I do the math against my DynoJet pull of 321.3 whp, it comes out to 387.1 hp at the flywheel. In all honesty, that's probably a lot more realistic, given my results at the wheels thus far.

Last edited by semtex; 04-02-2009 at 10:36 AM.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote