View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cyberium
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370z Touring | Sport
Cyberium is on a distinguished road
Default F.I 18" Resonator Review

Just to start, I won't include any pictures of the exhaust in the box or on the car because I think everyone knows what they both look like.

I ordered the Fast Intentions exhaust with the 18" resonators and I also ordered the F.I HFC's. They both arrived on time and were packaged perfectly. They were packaged so well that I was sort of getting frustrated towards the end of dealing with so much packing material and tape

So I set up an appointment immediately with a local shop that does work on high end cars and had to wait a week or so before I could drop it off.

Fast forward a week and I finally get the exhaust installed. The installer was really impressed with the quality of the exhaust and the welds and this is coming from a guy who owns a dodge viper and works on those types of cars daily.

First impression on start up was "wow, this sounds DEEP" I had about a 45 min drive home to try out the new exhaust and listen to my new sound. The best way to describe the sound was "booming". There also was a noticeable hiss on deceleration that you cannot escape with a HFC set up. So with these two factors... I actually pulled in my driveway and was unhappy with the sound.

Now as the week went on I noticed the sound was getting a little bit more subdued as I broke the exhaust in, but it still really wasn't the sound I was going for. Ideally, I was really going for a "more aggressive stock sound". I personally don't like the booming / drone sound. I wanted to hear the intakes and exhaust in perfect harmony.

So.. I was at a crossroads of what to do. I mean the TDX /HFC set up wasn't a bad sound... but it wasn't what I had in mind. I decided that I'd put the stock cats back on... at least it would take care of the hiss that I was not happy with.

Fast forward another week.

So I get the shop to put the stock cats back on. What a difference! I personally think the stock cats and the 18" resonators are the perfect balance to give this car the sound I was looking for, a more aggressive stock sound. When I say more aggressive stock sound, what I mean is when you are driving down the road at 55-60mph you don't hear the exhaust at all. THATS PERFECT. But then you give it some gas, the mix of the exhaust and the intake "throatyness" is nothing short of exotic heaven. I want to hear the car... not the drone if that makes sense.

So I am completely happy right now with the sound. I know for most, that 18" resonators and stock cats would be too quiet but I would disagree. In my opinion, this is how the car should sound. I'm only 25, but I've had modified cars since I was 17 and I've done the loud exhausts and all that before. This car now sounds as good as it looks and I couldn't be more happy.

So that was my experience in a nut shell. If your looking for a deep sound, go with 18" resonators and the HFC. It does sound good... just wasn't for me.

I'll try and post some sound clips and video's at some point that can do the car justice. Until then, the description will have to suffice.

Sound: 10/10
Looks: 10/10
Fitment: 10/10

PS: I'll be selling the HFC's in the classified section in a day or so. Keep an eye out if your interested.