View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: the 2 balled club
Zsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to beholdZsteve is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by efuseakay View Post
If it's going to be a major repair, you bet they will read the ECU.

There's no doubt a custom tune will get you the most gains. But if you decide to eventually sell the car? What then? You basically lose all of the $ you invested in the custom tune.

With units like the Cobb AP/Hypertech, you can at least sell those later on down the road if you wish. No, you won't get the gains of a custom tune, but that is something to consider. I'd say these stand-alone units offer a good middle ground for someone that wants to squeeze out a little more performance, but doesn't want to go through the process of getting a custom tune.

They each have their pluses and minuses.
My last three cars have had tunes and have been in the shop for repairs and never had an issue with them reading the ECU if it wasnt ECU related. Ive even had part replaced under warranty that went bad because of the tune, like blown diverter valves and things like that. The shop just replaced them and I was on my way. Now it could depend on the shop but if you come in for a problem, they may read your ECU for codes but they will not read it to see if there has been a tune. Again, Im not certain but I dont think their diag machine can even detect if there has been a tune added. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the diag machines can chime in a clearify this. But Ive yet to have a problem with tunes or bolt on mods when it cam to getting things fixed. Now if the ECU goes bad then yes they will check for that.

And again this is personal experience with my last three cars that have had full bolt ons and tunes.