View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 11:13 PM   #39 (permalink)
alan93rsa
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 16 Cayman GT4 Red
alan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond reputealan93rsa has a reputation beyond repute

Musashi,

I appreciate your points on the manufacturer knowing that the oil could overheat and the idea of principal.

On the point of over heating Nissan has acknowledged it in the implementation of the RPM reduction when it hits 300F. My guess is that they do not think the typical driver will run into this issue. Remember that the people on this list form a small population of the total customer base. To that end there will have to be a significant number of people complaining 'after' they have experienced this issue. If I encounter this issue, trip to Mid-Ohio in about two weeks, I'll write a letter with return receipt and make a phone call.

For those that have read about the oil temp issue and then purchase the car I think those people will not have the proverbial 'leg to stand on'.

Having posted on this you may think I don't care, I do. I also know there are two solutions:

1. Make phone calls/write letters and hope for a solution.
2. Remedy the situation on your own.

Number 1 may not happen and number 2 may be made to happen by the individual. Number 2 might lead to a warranty issue. But there is some ammo on the part of the owner. The fact that the magazines noted the presence of oil coolers on the press vehicles and the fact that the vehicles were presented to the press at a track. There is a certain enticement for track/spirited driving presented by the manufacturer.

Will Nissan step up and introduce a mid model year change and add a cooler, don't know. How about their making a retrofit of an oil cooler? Nissan's cost would most likely be less than $200 per cooler in their quantity. Give the dealer 2 - 3 hours to install it and your out the door for about $500 per car times the total cars manufactured to date. Maybe this would be the right, principals, route to follow for the manual sport models. We'll have to wait and see.

Rest assured that I will post my experience on this board when I encounter an over heating issue.