View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
zeecarr
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370Z 7 Speed
zeecarr is on a distinguished road
Default The One Millionth Fast Intentions Cat Back Review

Let me start my review by telling you a little about me. I am a 43 year old machinist for Boeing and have spent the last 25 years hot rodding everything from small and big block Chryslers to turbo Diamond Stars and Subaru’s. One thing being a machinist has taught me, it’s how to be anal, very, very anal. I also know a thing or two about how to build a cool hot rod.
Enter Fast Intentions. I was torn between Stillen and F.I. as I was concerned with F.I.’s ground clearance and it seemed (from the pictures) a little too “bling” for my taste. I didn’t like Stillen’s exhaust tips, slip joints, or weight (over 11 lbs. heavier than stock vs. F.I’s 10 lbs. lighter). The weight thing was my deciding factor, so F.I. in polished stainless with 18” resonators is what I ordered.
Tony is great to work with and explained everything going in, so there were no surprises. The exhaust showed up excellently packaged, practically mummified. I had no issues with denting or damage of any kind. Everything looked really high quality. All stainless, including the thick flanges, and beautiful welds. All gaskets and hardware are included except the cat to cat back gaskets (Nissan P/N 20692-1E810) and cat nuts (Nissan P/N 20602-41G00) which I purchased myself. I was very impressed. But would my mechanics be?
The team I have working for me is Forged Performance out of Troutdale, Oregon. Forged Performance I added a couple of pictures of Forged Performances’ products that they build in house, so you can see they know how to fab stainless. They were very impressed with everything about the F.I system. The tubing gauge, weld quality and flange design were excellent. They told me if they were going to design an exhaust system, it would be just like Tony builds. They were absolutely gushing over it. The told me if they were going to build one, it would cost twice as much as I paid for it. They also did the job complete in an hour and a half. Very easy install.
I couldn’t believe how tucked up it looked when I picked it up. I was expecting the cans to be really low to the ground and very “in your face”. They are not. The pictures you see online are intended to show off the exhaust, someone is laying on there belly to get those pictures. In reality, it looks really classy from behind. And the sound is truly like an exotic. A deep rumble at light acceleration, and she really roars at wide open throttle. I purchased the 18” resonators and it was quieter than I expected. I would not change a thing about my purchase. If you want really loud, go with the 12” resonators but be forewarned, interior sound will go up with the shorter resonators. I am not willing to trade what interior refinement the car has for more exterior noise. Even with the 18”resonators, you don’t hear the tire noise anymore. As far as drone is concerned, there is a little at 80mph, but if you're driving 80, you deserve some drone.
Great product, great power and great price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0029.jpg (74.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg H22.jpg (120.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg sr20.jpg (121.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by zeecarr; 04-16-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: left out some topics
zeecarr is offline   Reply With Quote