View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
martums
Base Member

Drives: 1995 Daihatsu Feroza
martums is on a distinguished road
Angry looking for a procedure to disable the TPMS

Has anyone found a way to either disable the low tire pressure warning light, or the system, etc.? Can we delete all four entries in the ECU that reference the unique sensors, or can we pop out a fuse unique to the TPMS?

In the 100 days I've owned my touring/sport, two of her TPMS devices failed, (actually snapping off inside---which makes for a horrible sound as they bounce around inside the rims). I've recently had all four of the TPMS devices replaced with regular valve stems on my 19" RAYS--no, not by Nissan service.

Of course, the "Low tire pressure warning light" (page 2-10 here) stays on, like a severed body part that still itches.

There's at least one page on the web that says disabling this is a no-no. This is unfortunate, especially in NJ where the state's motor vehicle inspection stations will reportedly fail you for any illuminated warning indicators. (That, and of course a $40k+ sports car shouldn't have these issues, especially so early in her life)...

These TPMS devices are in the neighborhood of $120 (3rd party) to $150 (dealership) for replacements. Yes, it's a sin to be even remotely cheap with this car. I disagree with having to repeatedly spend money on these little pieces of crap, when they have demonstrated a high failure rate.

She's a daily driver with almost 9,000 miles in 90 days. The daily commute includes some lovely post-Winter potholes, decrepit railroad track crossings, etc. Could these sensors be replaced? Of course. Will this happen again? Youbetcha.

Yes, I've read on the web that disabling this is a no-no. Yes, I understand it's a safety feature. Yes, yes, yes. And yes, they're crap.
martums is offline   Reply With Quote