View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
I'm just gathering info here and getting ready to do my first oil change now... have some questions:

1) This copper crush washer... Is it just some standard crush washer I can pick up a bag of at the hardware store? Do anyone know the size so I don't have to pull it before I run down there?

2) I'm still baffled by the whole Nissan Ester Oil thing for the VVEL, and all of the conflicting recommendations about using synthetics. I'm not tracking the car, but I drive pretty hard for street driving. My last car I was using Mobil 1 and changing at 3k every time (this was an LS1 engine), and I was pretty happy with how the engine turned out at the 100k mile mark. My 370Z is closing in on 2K miles now and I'm overdue if anything for getting the factory break-in oil out of there. Am I going to get ugly valvetrain noise if I use a quality synthetic? Does the Nissan ESTER stuff matter for engine wear purposes or is it just noise-related?
You should be able to pick up some new crush washers at any AutoZone type of store. They'll probably ask you what kind of car it is, so just tell them that it's a Nissan and they should be able to pull the right size (all Nissan's use the same sized drain plug and washer, I've been told).

The Ester oil thing. Ester does matter for wear, IMO. The thing about Ester is that it bonds to metal, thereby increasing the lubricity of the components especially at startup. My understanding is that Mobil1 Extended Performance has ester, but the regular stuff doesn't. I've also been told by my tuning mechanic that I shouldn't switch from conventional oil to synthetic until after at least 5000 miles. (I'm not necessarily vouching for his position on this, I'm just telling you what I've been told. You can draw your own conclusions.)
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote