View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
cfoster
Base Member

Drives: 04 G35 M6
cfoster is on a distinguished road

I ended up "drinking the kool aid". I bought the extended warranty. I didn't when I bought my G35, and haven't had a single warrantable issue to date (6 years). I'm still super conflicted about having done it. A huge voice in my head is telling me I just through out a bunch of money, but then again, buying a new 370 over a 5 year old 350 made absolutely no fiscal sense either.

A friend of mine is a BMW mechanic, and he is claiming that a certain % of their 3.0L direct injection (turbo charged) engines suffer injector / fuel pump issues. Considering that this engine has only been out for a few years, any type of % of issues seems premature. (Hint, he and his co-workers consider this a gravy train, if that tells you anything.) Thus far, the bulk of these cars are still under their factory warranty, but if you're engine kills its injectors before 3 years, the next bill is on you.

As it happens, the Nissan VQ37 isn't turbocharged, so pressure issues fouling injectors and such would be less of an issue in Nissan's take on the tech as compared to BMW's. That, and more and more manufacturers are going to direct injection, which tells me that every year they are getting a little bit more ahead of the tech curve regarding this type of injection with regards to design/tolerances and how it effects durability.

All that having been said, the cost to change injectors and or fuel pumps and or anything else related isn't cheap, even if Nissan charges less per hour for repairs and less for parts than BMW, I just didn't want to have to worry about it.

In sum though, I cite above the possibility for repair, and its potential cost; hence my reference to having drank the kool aid. That's the same rethoric applied at the dealership. Everyone has their own comfort level, but I think I'm still searching for mine.

Thanks everyone for their input, it's interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences.

I'm really loving my 370. At the moment I'm thinking about pulling the factory Fischer Price My First Stereo and replacing it with one of these new stereos units that does video, music, phone, Nav, Payroll, Taxes, and tracks your retirement, all via blue tooth.
cfoster is offline   Reply With Quote