View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #222 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XwChriswX View Post
When it comes to dyno's, can you explain why they are done in the manner they are, neither in the lowest or the highest gear, and why you dont step up through the gears? I never completely understood that...
Someone else could probably explain better, but I'll give it a shot. The purpose of a dyno is to measure power output. Now, the 'cleanest' way to do that is to take the engine out of the car and mount it to an engine dyno. But that's not exactly practical, right? So most people just dyno at the wheels. Not only is it a tad more convenient than taking your engine out, but you're also measuring how much power you're putting to the ground, which many would argue is what counts anyway. So, that being said, you want to get a reading from the wheels while in a gear that provides a 1:1 ratio, because a gear ratio of 1:1 means that the engine and the transmission’s output are moving at the same speed. You want the engine and transmission to be in synch in order to get an accurate reading. Does this make sense at all? Like I said, I'm sure someone else can do a better job of explaining this.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote