View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
LinPark
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
LinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond reputeLinPark has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to LinPark Send a message via Skype™ to LinPark
Default LinPark's 370Z Journal

Here she is - first pics and write up from the first day.

Purchase date: 4/7/2010

2010 Dark Cherry 6MT with Sports Package, Floor Mats, Illuminated Kick Plates, Splash Guards, and Trunk Mat

MSRP (w/Destination): $34,840
Invoice (per truecar.com): $32,321
Purchased for: $30,529 (before other fees)

More pics here.

Day 1

It all started when the alarm went off ... not that I needed it to since I had been rolling around most of the night unable to sleep. I quickly got ready and waited for the family to wake up so they could all take me over to the Enterprise to pick up the rental car. We arrived there at about 8:30 AM and I was "upgraded" to a fairly new White PT Cruiser. After a quick stop for some breakfast and an interior setup so my music and GPS were all set, I was on my way at 9 AM.

As I hopped on I-75 N, it struck me as funny that I should be in a White PT Cruiser since that is the exact car that my parents currently drive around in. And that made me think of my mother purchasing a new '78 280Z back when I was just 10 years old. When I knew I was going to get this 370Z, I talked to them about how they remembered their Z buying experience. My Dad said that he knew they were going to make major changes in '79 and he didn't like the looks of what they were doing so they decided to get a '78 instead. The car was manufactured in June of '78 and is one of the last 300 280Z's to roll off the assembly line. They found it in the back lot of a Datsun dealer and though it wasn't their first choice in colors they went with it.

After all this recollection, I had the good fortune of hitting Disney World traffic while nearing Orlando. Feeling lucky to get through it I hopped on SR-528 to head east toward Merritt Island only to find out that this wonderful road has tolls. I haven't purchased a SunPass yet so I had to stop at each one and this took me back to those wonderful days of driving on the NJ Garden State Parkway where they stop you about every 5 miles to collect $1 - it is aptly named because you find yourself "parked" on it more than driving.

After all this fun, I arrived at the dealership at 12 PM. I was quickly approached by numerous salespeople until they realized I was there for someone else. I spotted my car over near the body shop sitting in the shade and after finding my salesman we took her out for a quick spin. What a great experience that was even though the shifter/clutch on the 370Z is quite different than the 280Z. Once back from the drive, I got out of the car and noticed some scratches on the roof on my side and the car was whisked away for the final prep. I went inside to the dealership, signed all the paperwork, finalized the financing and was ready to get going. The car came back from the prep and was parked under an awning for final review. I found a few more small issues that the body shop folks polished out and by 2:30 PM I was pulling off the lot.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, can prepare you for pulling one of these off the lot that belongs to you. Its a great feeling and at the same time you cringe everytime someone else gets near you. The drive home was fairly uneventful. I varied the speed between 60 mph and 80 mph (oops, did I say that). I stopped for a quick bite to eat and that was the first time I moved away from the car and was able to look out at it and realize it was actually mine. The car looked absolutely stunning sitting there in the sun ... like something right out of the future compared to the other vehicles around it. I ate fast since no one was parked on either side and hopped back in for the final stretch.

I had hoped to be home around 3:30 PM but with the late start I called the family to tell them I would have to meet them at our Wednesday rendevous point. I arrived around 5:15 PM and actually let the wife take her home while I waited for the kids. Handing over the keys wasn't my favorite but I had already seen the 100 mile and 200 mile indicator click by so I was fine with it. But I did tell her to call me when she got home.

Overall, a fantastic day ... I went out to check on her in the garage a few times that night and remember going out there first thing the next day to make sure it wasn't all a dream. All I can say is that if you are thinking about getting one of these and have the luxury of affording it then DO IT .. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!

Last edited by LinPark; 04-12-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Update pic to show better color
LinPark is offline   Reply With Quote