View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
XwChriswX
WFLYIDNNE

Drives: 02 GDB WRX
XwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by willinsyd View Post
Mine needs a top up but Nissan only sells 5 litres of fully synthetic for the z so i thought I'd just use mobil 1 as a top up as this is one of the only oils that comes in 1 litre and meets the same specs.

Thoughts? The Nissan oil mentions not to mix oil brands on the back of the bottle but the manual doesnt say anything apart from ensure same spec...
Listen to the oil bottle...

It may not physically damage your engine to the point of complete destruction. But as a good rule of thumb, its never a good idea to mix types of oils, and then even more anal retentively, Brands of oil. If you need to top off, use the same as what's already in it. If you wanna change brands, do a complete swap and drain all the previous out.

Most modern synthetics have such 'special' stuff as they like to claim, that some mixes may have countering effects to eachother and well, in my engine is not where I'd want to practice that science experiment.

Bonnie - Stage 2, Audio build coming this fall!
R.I.P. Abby 3/29/10 - 3/30/14
XwChriswX is offline   Reply With Quote