View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
ChrisSlicks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
You sure did Absolutely amazing pads. I don't want to take them off now.

As for ice mode...I read through those other threads a few days back which is why I'm curious if what I experienced is 'it'. The strange thing is that I could reproduce this every single time I hammered the brake pedal (other said it happened very sporadically). It would stop like a beast if I stayed out of ABS, but a few seconds of ABS turned into that glazed sliding feeling with no stopping. If this is really the ice mode, then the Z just doesn't tolerate prolonged, heavy ABS activation. I suppose one can threshold brake, treating ABS activation like wheel lockup in a non-ABS car. Scary schiesse though...I better not have that happen on the track!
I think what is happening is that the ABS is having a hard time modulating the brakes because the pads are so aggressive. Everytime the ABS pulses the wheel is locking which causes the ABS to release the pressure until it confirms the wheel is rolling again, so then it sends another pulse but it quickly re-locks. Unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do about this, the ABS system is simply calibrated for a much less aggressive pad. I had similar issues when I tried to use an aggressive pad on an auto-x course, didn't work out well at all. Stickier tires will certainly help, as the wheel will be less likely to lock. The problem also shows up any time there is a low traction situation such as sand, marbles (the rubber kind), bump etc. The ABS system simply doesn't allow enough lock up and IMO is dangerous. The Carbotech's will get better as the temperatures come up, but I think your going to have to reprogram your foot.