View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #41 (permalink)
Termac
Base Member

Drives: 2009 370z MB 7AT
Termac is on a distinguished road

Majestik

Here is what I have done but remember it is still a work in progress for me too.

Set up an account with a freight forwarding company such as Bongous, Viaddress or Borderlinx (Thanks gtrfan).

I am using Viaddress at Elkhart Indiana but there are many others.
See this link for some background info good and bad. Have anyone used MyUS.com or BongoUS? - Mac Forums

The main trick is costs of the freight forwarder and the air freight cost. Be ready for large numbers.

Pay for the goods using Paypal and there are tricks for lowering the commision costs for this to, but I digress.

Get your supplier to ship (normally free in the lower 48 states) to your US freight forwarder.

Then get your Freight Forwarder to ship to your door in Australia.

Don't be afraid of the import issues if using Fedex, customs clearance will be done by them free of charge as part of the service.

The costs will be in the order of 5% import duty plus the GST 10% plus the customs clearance fee $55. You need to pay the piper if you want to play in the band.

Remember any item fully manufactured in the US should fall into the Free Trade Agreement and be treated favorably for Customs Duties. But this opens a can of worms for the paper work so it needs to save hundreds of dollars not tens to be worth it.

Thats my thoughts hope it helps. The way I am going I might drop my day job and start to import gear lol.

Termac
Termac is offline   Reply With Quote