View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
6spd
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Q50RS
6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute6spd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmacist View Post
considering it's my car that i bough with my money, i should have the right to know how it works and how to fix it if it breaks. besides, what's in it for nissan anyway? i don't think they get paid anything if you take a car to the stealership to be fixed.
yes, you have the right to know what is wrong with the car and how to fix it, but that doesnt mean the dealer has to disclose exactly what methods they use to diagnose and fix the car, just like if you bring your car to me, im not gonna tell you the steps of what I did step by step with instructions because that would eventually lose business for me because people would be fixing their own problems. same idea at the dealer, why would they want to lose work by telling you what to do to fix your car. We have the service manual which is by and large more than enough for the average joe to fix things.

Nissan may not get payed by a dealer for each repair, but the dealers are the only ones offered the use of the proper diagnosis equipment. This is why the dealer claims to have the best service, because they can more easily find problems than independent shops. I sucks very much for us that the manu's and dealers protect their repair software knowledge to greatly and we have to scavenge for the answers were looking for, but thats how it goes.

BTW the greater the influx of electronics that is now happening and will continue to happen will put a lot of small shops out of business. It is already starting, and the dealer will do nothing but thrive from the fact that they will be the only ones capable of diagnosing, repairing, and reprogramming these systems.