View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pharmacist
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370z Sport 6MT
Pharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the roughPharmacist is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd View Post
yes and no, dealers make it impossible for most shops to possess the same equipment by charging $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ out the a$$ for it, if they even decide to sell it. most often that answer is no. the consumer can fix whatever he or she wants anywhere they want, but that doesnt mean they have the right to possess the same diagnostic technology as the dealer.
considering it's my car that i bough with my money, i should have the right to know how it works and how to fix it if it breaks. besides, what's in it for nissan anyway? i don't think they get paid anything if you take a car to the stealership to be fixed.
Quote:
Its NOT the software that is protected under the copyright. It is the intellectual content that the software is just presenting to the screen.
what would this intellectual content be? we already have the service manual here that contains almost everything about the car. the only thing i know of that some car manufacturers keep secret is the manufacturer-specific non-standardized OBDII codes and key chip codes, etc.... That is what i believe should be illegal since it impairs customers right to choose and practially forces you to pay the exorbitant fees to the stealership to have the car fixed.