View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 04:49 AM   #83 (permalink)
Crash
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 02 Corvette Z06
Crash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond reputeCrash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyBobo View Post
You can get an 1SS for 30K, and modding an LS3 will be stupid easy compared to a 370Z. The only leg a 370Z has on the new Camaro is handling, as far as performance wise. GM's LSX motors are no joke.
You're right. I'd seen early pricing on the SS was going to be in the 40s... However, the LS3 they're using is a de-tuned version which will also be on a "No Compete" system that GM designed to make sure that the Camaro can't beat the Corvette. That being said, the production Camaros aren't going to be a problem in the straight line either for the time it takes tuners to figure out how to crack that GM garbage ECU.

Yeah, I know LSx's are no joke. I had one... I've had 3 Chevy 5.7L motors... My LS1 made power just by kicking it. The smallest mods make the biggest difference on those motors. Headers, intake, tune = 40WHP easy on the LS1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Killa View Post
^ 37 hp from cats and exhaust in a 370z. So don't be too quick to rule out the Z:
Forged Performance: A couple of visitors stopped by...
Believe me, what you can squeeze out of all the N/A mods together on the VQ motors is NOTHING compared to the same mods on the LSx. I also still don't believe 37 WHEEL horse power from cats and exhaust on the VQ. But I know from personal experience that the LSx motors make more than that to the wheels with exhaust and a tune.

So, yeah, the Camaro may come stock as a show boat. 420+HP (Supposedly) is a lot of power, but the car weighs more than 12 1/2 Rosanne Bars. The power to weight ratio blows. If the Camaro really does 13.0 in the 1/4, I'll be very surprised. And even if it really does do it, it's 3 tenths of a second. That's not hard to make up on a light-weight car like the Z.

But that being said, LSx parts are practically interchangeable and there's a bagillion mods out there for the LSx platform. $2000 bucks will add another 50WHP on the LS3. (Maybe more.)