View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #101 (permalink)
370Zsteve
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 Corvette G.S.
370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute370Zsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalanBro View Post
It is possible that the longer tube could have smoother airflow further down the pipe, but it will still experience more resistance (i.e. a greater pressure drop as measured from the inlet and outlet of the intake tube). Smoother air flow does not necessarily mean MORE air flow, but it typically leads to a much more stable and accurate reading from the MAF.

A short tube, as in an SRI, is more tempermental to MAF location, and proper spacing from the filter/inlet is very important to avoid the turbulence created at the pipe inlet. This could be one reason why the other SRI systems have not fared so well.
Thanks, Belan. Ya, I didn't mean there would be more flow by any means. I wish I could locate the article about the long-tubes, it was not in a Stillen press release, but rather a 3rd-party source in an online article I stumbled on. It also mentioned that the shape of the bend coming around to the filters was crucial for the smother flow.

I'm beginning to think Semtex may be right and that Smoky put a Turbonator in the unit.