View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
gpa7pk
Base Member

Drives: 1959 Triumph TR3A
gpa7pk is on a distinguished road

Before trying to remove the rear rotor locate the rubber plug and remove it. Turn the rotor so the hole you just unplugged is at 12 o'clock. Look through the hole into the parking brake assembly and locate the star wheel adjuster for the parking brake. Take a standard screwdriver and flip the notches on the starwheel up or down (I forgot which way) to loosen the emergency brake shoes so that the rotor will be easy to remove (and replace later). This is a good time to take a picture for reference. With the rotor removed the emergency brake assembly can be partially disassembled by taking a pair of needle nose pliers and taking the top spring off. There are two brake shoe hold downs at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock that you remove with a screwdriver by turning the hold down approximately 90 degrees. This will allow the brake shoes to be pushed away enough for you to remove the starwheel (remember how the starwheel was mounted). Now you can remove and install each wheel stud at the 12 o'clock position. I am concerned the you will have enough space between the hub and the brake shield to insert the 20mm studs. I went with the 15mm spacer and it was close but you may not have a problem, so try it. Put everything back together making sure the brake shoes are centered like in the picture you took, adjust the emergency brake starwheel to the point the rotor can't be turned by hand, pull and release the emergency brake handle a couple of times, loosen the starwheel two to three notches (enough so that you can turn the rotor by hand). Then set the emergency brake handle on and make sure you can't turn the rotor. Put the rubber plug back in the inspection hole, put your spacer and wheel back on and torque the lug nuts to 80 - 85 foot pounds.

I used Modshacks DIY on removing and installing the wheel studs.
gpa7pk is offline   Reply With Quote