Thread: Oil Temp Survey
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #103 (permalink)
FricFrac
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z 300ZX 280ZX 240
FricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond reputeFricFrac has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to FricFrac

Interesting information about the bearings and I suspect it is fairly accurate - I can attest to the incredible durability of the L series engines.

Its important to keep a few things in perspective. Nissan is excellent at engineering performance cars - the Z car is the most sucessful sports car line in the world due to the price/perfomance that Nissan has established. When it wasn't viable they stoped producing sports cars.

Motor oils - like pretty much any engineered product - has a tolerance or range at which it can be opperated under. Synthetic oils are typically good up to around 300F but check with your manufacture before you start freaking out.

From what I've heard there hasn't been any issues with previous Nissan engines and their bearings..... even those with "green" bearings.

Its this simple. The 370Z is designed as a high performance sports car. It is capable in every way for daily use and there are very few if anyone who has heating issues driving the car normally around town. If you do I'm pretty sure Nissan will resolve the issue with your engine if its abnormally overheating.

If you choose to push your vehicle beyond normal daily use (which it is more than capable of) your car has been engineered to provide protection to the engine by detecting higher than normal temperatures. You never have to second guess if the car was over heating or how long an abnormal temperature was before you detected it. Its a fantastic feature.

If you want to take your car to a race track (unlikely it will overheat in a short course like an auto-x) you simply need to add an oil cooler. This is a modern engine which sprays oil on the bottom of the pistons to increase cooling because of the high compression in these engines. Oil not only acts as a lubricant but also as a coolant. Very few owners push their cars to these limits so Nissan wisely decided to spend the money on the performance, reliability and capability of the car in other areas that would benifit everyone - not just the track enthusiest.

Some will say well I'd happily pay $500 for the extra performance out of the box. Then go for it - there is no need to whine about it. Those who don't need it (the vast majority) just saved themselves $500+. The VQ has been out for over 20 years - the closer cousin to the VQ37 the VQ35 for at least seven and even our engine has been out for almost three years. Haven't heard of any recalls or other major issues - in fact surprisingly few.

The only real issue here is a lack of Nissan coming up to the plate and saying there will be no warranty issues if you install your own oil cooler but on the other hand if they can't prove that the oil cooler caused the problem then they are obligated to upholding the warranty.