View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #56 (permalink)
M.Bonanni
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Fast
M.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond reputeM.Bonanni has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to M.Bonanni

Started today on my prep for the upcoming Redline Time Attack this weekend! Unfortunately, running the 370Z was a last minute decision so I am not able to add a bunch of new parts to the car for the race, but I will do what I can with limited time and resources to give myself any advantage possible!

I started by gutting the trunk are to see how much weight could be saved. I grabbed a screwdriver and a 10mm socket and 10 minutes later, here are the results!

All of this stuff pops in and out with ease and will be put back in after the race...

Then I started weighing what was removed. This is the sun shade/privacy thing that stretches out over whatever you're carying in the back. No need for this in time attack! 3 lbs. saved...

Now some of the interior plastics. These are the pieces that cover the rear strut towers. 5 lbs. saved and easy access to the rebound adjustment on my BC coilovers!

The rest of the trunk area plastic and styrofoam. 10 lbs. saved!

Just like on the 350Zs, there is a weight bolted to the hatch...

...and it weighs 2 lbs...

And the grand total wieght savings for 10 min. worth of work is 20 lbs! I had previously weight the stock BOSE subwoofer, spare tire, and tools and the weight of those totals out to be 50 lbs. So that's a grand total of 70 lbs. weight savings in a matter of 10 min! The best part is, all of this stuff is just as easy to put back as it is to remove.

Now the only possible downside is that this amount of weight reduction is all off the back of the car. I have swapped the OEM battery with a lightweight Odyssey battery to help offset some of that, but I will find out later what the front/rear weight distribution is. Worst case is that I may need to add some weight back to the rear.

I also installed the Hawk HP+ Brake pads. They fit perfectly and the install was incredibly easy thanks to the design of the Akebono calipers. The car is still up in the air on jack stands awaiting more work tomorrow so I haven't driven the car with the pads in yet. I will bed them in later in the week and then provide my on-track impressions and pad wear analysis next week after the time attack.
Function > Form

Last edited by M.Bonanni; 03-23-2009 at 06:36 PM.