View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
chris410
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 10' GT500
chris410 is on a distinguished road

You don't need to bring your car up to 4000 rpm...only turbo autos do that to build boost off the line. In an NA you can power brake a little maybe 2000rpm at most but anything over that will cause you to spin up the wheels and put unnecessary stress on your torque converter. Also, don't power brake for more than a few seconds or you will blow your your converter...I've lost count at how many times I've seen people do that at the track.

As far as the 370... Turn your traction control off, make sure you have your tires warmed up (if you have drag radials) street tires don't require any warm up...slightly power brake...maybe 2000rpm at most however, you can launch without power braking at all...the key is to allow the car to squat on the rear suspension by carefully applying throttle so the car shifts the weight to the rear so you get traction THEN go WOT ...simply flooring it is stupid, you will do nothing but spin and waste time.

Similar to late braking on a motorcycle...you have to load the suspension before you get on the brakes hard, a lot of rookies tend to just jam on the brakes which causes the front wheel to skid...hence a crash usually follows! In the end it's all about loading and unloading your suspension correctly. The 370 is not set up as a drag car, the suspension does not have enough travel to allow the car to load the rear suspension enough for a really hard launch so keep that in mind. It can be done but it's not optimal with our set up.

Last edited by chris410; 03-26-2010 at 08:00 AM.
chris410 is offline   Reply With Quote