View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #262 (permalink)
stormcrow
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Nismo TT
stormcrow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
by definition Jeremy, every car comes from the factory with a canned tune. It is safe, but leaves some on the table, which is why we do aftermarket tunes. There is no reason why a canned supercharger tune can't be just as safe, although it too will leave a little on the table.
Mike, I understand what you are saying. But, as I stated above, when speaking of an OEM 'canned' tune on a production vehicle calibrated by the manufacturer, this is not an apples to oranges comparison to a canned tune for an aftermarket forced induction kit developed for an N/A motor. To make this even a remotely close comparison, aftermarket F/I application developers would have to put in the same amount of R&D in their calibrations that Nissan has put into creating the ECUs for our cars. And even if that were the case, which it is absolutely not, it would still be an unfair comparison as the car was released OEM normally aspirated.

And I think people are misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that a canned tune is necessarily bad. I am saying that it is not as safe as a custom tune and that stating that a canned tune is 100% safe is an utter myth.

One other thing I have been contemplating. The safety and reliability of any tune depends on the competency and skill of the calibrator. Personally, I don't even know the name of the individual responsible for the tune going out with these kits. Who are they? What are their credentials? None of these questions are ever asked. No one ever asks this of GReddy or HKS or Vortech, etc., either. From experience, I think we should start asking simple questions such as these of all vendors.
stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote