View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Gestalt73
Base Member

Drives: 09 370z Black 6speed
Gestalt73 is on a distinguished road
Angry The nightmares continue!

So.... Sorry about the late response, but since this has happened again, I thought I'd update this thread as well as to start another one.

Ultimately it was determined that a low oil condition caused the cam sprockets to skip and triggered a limp mode.

Before you start blasting me for not checking oil etc, here are the facts:
- The car had less than 2000 miles on it
- The car had every scheduled service
- It was intermittent until the the last day
- There was no reported low oil condition on the dash
- For the first couple of times that this occurred, there was no check engine light, nothing on the dash to indicate that there was a problem

They tried to get the engine replaced, but Nissan wouldn't cover it, so they fixed it instead (replaced cam sprockets, sensors etc).

They also had me bring the car back in 500 miles to check the oil level, and they determined that it was *NOT* burning oil.

The also told me *NOT* to top it off, and then asked me to bring it in at 10100 miles for regular scheduled maintenance etc (which would have been in about 3000 miles).

Well, at 9200 miles (2000 miles after previous service), the same thing happened. It's now back in the shop.

The good news is that the dealership (Stadium Nissan, Orange) has been really supportive and helpful.

The not so good news is that Nissan still will not replace the engine. They're stating that a new engine is being developed that addresses a known burn oil issue with manual trannie Zs, and they don't want to replace my engine until this new version is out. No dates, of course.

This car is cursed. It has been in for service often enough that it must qualify for lemon law coverage in CA (there are several other unrelated issues that have kept it in the shop).
Gestalt73 is offline   Reply With Quote