View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
mspeasl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Red M6 Sport/Touring
mspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond reputemspeasl has a reputation beyond repute
Cool 50 years of towing..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrmstr View Post
I'm new to the (car) towing game, but I will be towing my Z to events this year on an open trailer. Was curious if anyone has towed their Z and if so, how did you secure the car to the trailer? I been trying to read general info on securing a car, but can't seem to come to a consensus regarding how to secure it. Axle straps...T hooks.....tire straps....let the suspension on the car work, or ratchet down from a frame location to lock it on. The more I've read, the more confused I've gotten. I don't want to use an axle strap and then use it on the wrong part and bend something or break an aluminum piece, etc...

Any useful feedback would be greatly appreciated
I am not an expert at towing, but I have been doing it for almost 50 years and who knows how many miles. I have towed Drag cars, standard passenger cars and several other types of vehicles. In the early days we used chains and come-a-longs to tie the vehicles down to the trailers. In those days we attached the chains to the frames and tried to tie them down tight so the car didn't move. Today (and for the past 20+ years or so) we have been using tire straps and letting the suspension work while towing. I know that the factory haulers still tie the cars down by the frames and use chains. But they are hauling more than one car. I have found that the wheel straps work the best for me on a single car application.