View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #151 (permalink)
rsximus
Base Member

Drives: 2007 335i, 2009 370Z
rsximus is on a distinguished road

I just cannot fathom the idea of owning an automatic with a 2 seater sports car for myself. Something just doesn't seem right.

Before the auto owners start claiming that the GT-R, Ferrari's, Lambos ect come in automatic. Lets stop right there. First off...

The GT-R, Ferrari's, and Lambos DSG transmissions all use clutches, NOT TORQUE CONVERTERS. You cannot compare a conventional automatic like the one in the 370Z to DSG transmissions. TOTALLY different types of transmissions and technology. DSG is derived from F1 racing technology, torque converter automatics like the 370Z are found in minivans, trucks, and family sedans.

The 7spd AT is a very good automatic, just like the 6spd steptronic in my 335i, rev matching and full lockup. The problem is, they still behave and react like regular automatics. Just like the 8spd AT in the IS-F, if you drive one, it shifts very fast, but when you take control of it with the paddles and tell it when to shift, there is still delay (which drives me crazy) and it hunts for gears a lot if you left it alone to do its own thing.
rsximus is offline   Reply With Quote