View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
IDZRVIT
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '13 CTS-V, '76 Vette
IDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond reputeIDZRVIT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40th370z View Post
Not sure how many are aware of the surface rust that can be pick up from our national highways,aka "graderdust".

A few years back my Titan started to show rust spots on the paint surface,needless to say I was upset an confronted the Nissan Dealership.

To my surprise they said it wasn't Nissans paint job , it was a result of "graderdust"-when the roads are plowed during winter conditions the grader blade leaves small filings (ever notice sparks coming off blades ?)of metal that are left on the roads.

When we drive over or past other vehicles the dust is thrown up on the sides and undercarriages of our cars/trucks.Those small filings if not removed right away can imbed into the wax/clear coats an begin to rust on the surface of paint an chrome.

My dealer told me to get my vehicle detailed with a process know as a acid wash , then rewaxed .

Side note: Mid Apr my 40th AnnE arrives , cant wait to drive it ,an as to a lil purple in the paint who the hell cares OMG its a 370Z.it could be passion pink an it would still be cool...OMG its a 370Z!!!!
Graderdust, eh? I hope you're dealer is joking about this. If not I'd be looking for another dealer. I too live in the great white north and have never heard this in my near 40 years of driving in the winter. And I'd like some more info on this acid wash your dealer speaks of. Is a mild one with vinegar in the soapy water or a tad stronger using sulphuric acid?
IDZRVIT is offline   Reply With Quote