View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #142 (permalink)
Kyle@STILLEN
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: Toyota Tundra
Kyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond reputeKyle@STILLEN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
Kyle -

Firstly, let me say kudos and congratulations. It seems you guys have done your best to put out a solid kit and I look forward to hearing some feedback from the soon-to-be new owners.

I do have a few questions, if you will indulge me. You stated that Nissan recommends "draw through" setups for their MAF. Granted, I will not argue the point that both F/I cars that you mentioned and all N/A Nissan cars do come with a "draw through" setup. But, the two F/I cars you mentioned are OEM turbo cars and their ECU programming has been stringently coded to accept the fact that the temperatures being read by the MAF sensor are certainly not the temperatures of the charge going into the intake post compressor. This is, arguably, not the appropriate setup for an aftermarket F/I application running on an N/A ECU.

When utilizing an ECU that is designed for N/A applications, how do you figure that it is better to run "draw through" as opposed to "blow through" when blow through gives actual IATs to the ECU to utilize via the MAF temp sensor versus the colder, denser air pre-compressor of the "draw through"? When the ECU believes the intake temps are 70 degrees, but the charge entering the intake is really 180 degrees, this can be a very detrimental thing.

Also, I take it you guys are using a recirculating bypass valve, as well, and no venting to the atmosphere or BOV? I didn't see anything mentioned about this in the release.

Thank you, sir, for your time.
When we say that Nissan recommends a draw-through setup we're not just using other vehicle's as examples, we mean that their engineers told us that the O.E. MAF sensor is not designed to be used as a blow through. We have a very good releationship with Nissan North America and we do talk regularly with their engineering team and this is what they recommended to us.

The NISSAN MAF sensor is not designed to read the air blowing over it because the sensor can not read air density. It only reads air volume. If you compress the air through the compressor then blow it through the MAF sensor the MAF is unable to read all of the air going by it so you're not getting an accurate measurement of air. Again, this information came from Nissan.

Yes, in order to achieve CARB legality we can not vent to atmosphere so we must use a recirculating by-pass valve. However, a blow off valve could easily be adapted to the kit if someone wanted that.
Kyle@STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote