View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #59 (permalink)
AP - Chris_B
Base Member

Drives: Many
AP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond reputeAP - Chris_B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisjb View Post
Stillen, this is prob the first thing you guys should look in to
I have seen ABS "ice mode" on the Elise/Exige, working with quite a few drivers who did not like it one bit! Lotus eventually offered the "fix" in a Motorsports ABS module upgrade (something like $10k, IIRC). I don't know if the module is available for the street cars or just the Cup track (not road-legal) cars.

In the short term, it is best to get to the track and practice initiating the braking event. The key is to not stomp on the brake pedal. It can be firmly applied, but the ABS module looks at how fast the system pressure rises. If it senses a huge spike, the algorithms determine that you must be in big trouble and are about to have "a moment". The brake gods then take over and you are pretty much a passenger until you let off the brakes and try again. Of course, now you are in full panic and hit the pedal even harder, spawning another ice mode experience!

The best (at least the most colorful!) description I ever heard from a pro driver about proper braking technique came from Roberto Moreno when he was in the Swift chassis at Long Beach years ago. We were working on aero mods that would lessen the forward center of pressure shift under braking. On the road courses, the suspension would need to be run higher and softer for the bumps, so the car wanted to dive under braking and lift the rear. This lift "unsealed" the underwing tunnels, losing rear downforce. Working day and night in the wind tunnel to come up with solutions, we ended up with a car that had a big advantage going into the heavy braking zones. Roberto was so excited when getting out of the car after the first practice, proudly stating that no one could outbrake him. When I asked him how the car was reacting, he said it was "Perfect, like I am making love to the brake pedal." Uh, use your own judgment when interpreting that last statement.

For the long term, it would be best to continue to go to Nissan with the issue in hopes they offer a way to change it if enough people complain. There is nothing Stillen can do to modify the ABS that doesn't require more lawyers than currently out of work (sorry, under-employed) in southern California. One bad incident on the street in cold weather with a modified module and we'd all be looking for jobs!

Aftermarket brake companies should carry a serious product liability insurance policy (your does, right?), but modifying ABS modules would be a great way to get dropped quicker than the next guy to marry Pamela Anderson.

Chris

P.S. Roberto passed a lot of cars on that race day -- until one Mr. Tracy thought better of giving him enough room to get by. Two cars cannot occupy the same space at the same time!

Last edited by AP - Chris_B; 03-16-2010 at 10:34 AM.
AP - Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote