View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
antennahead
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '07 Z4 "M" Roadster
antennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond reputeantennahead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak28 View Post
The problem CAS has run into is mounting depth, Its a good design but its tought to retain the spare and achieve proper airspace I will be working with Big on the fabrication end of things, Ive been working with fiberglass for 8 years and installing car audio for 10. My intention is to build a box that allows the spare to be retained and a box that loses the spare. There are very few solid options if you keep the spare.

I also have plans to do a prefab box that resembles the zenclosure to an extent but will have a fiberglass front face that can be matched to your cars color or done in carbon fiber. We're only looking for volunteers at this point, not trying to turn a profit

I think most that want a stealth box inside the spare (retain spare), realize that we will be most likely limited to a slimline sub. I am ok with that. A member here built a nice fiberglass box a while back that sat inside the spare and was flush with the top of the spare ......... the speaker didn't extend far enough up to protrude past the lip of the foam that sits on top of everything in the trunk....... a nice totally stealth look, and if you want, you could still cut out the carpet some and grill it. The CAS box is nice, but in trying to allow for deeper subs, and the owners desire for the 13", the box got bigger than I would want. Here is a link to the box I mentioned:

Spare-tire Subwoofer box, JL 8W6 sub

I think this is more like what a lot of members had in mind when we said "keep the spare" ............... not that the CAS box isn't first rate, it is.