View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #30 (permalink)
travisjb
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: VIR
travisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond reputetravisjb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to revive this old thread... new information

So, despite adding a massive AP Racing BBK and taking hundreds of pounds of my car, I'm still getting the icing issue on occasion. Happened to me today at Firebird Intl Raceway. I was going towards a carousel and braking hard to get set up at the correct speed and on the right line. I had just passed another car and had to make a big transition that upset the car's balance... then bam - icing set in and I began a slow terrible grinding towards the outer part of the track and straight-line braked (but not nearly as fast as I would have liked!)... nearly ended up 4x4'ing. It was total ABS lock up, but as has been previously described it was v inefficient with slow pulsing like riding on ice.

It didn't happen for the rest of the day.

It was NOT an overheat issue b/c it was early during a session.

As it turns out, there was a fellow at the track today who happens to be a test driver for a certain car mfgr that we know and love. Please don't ask me to elaborate. He says that the 370z and the 350z before it have had this issue. What happens has nothing to do with overheating. The ABS computer is kicking in icing mode when it senses any one wheel turning at a substantially different rate than the others. Confirmed it is a different mode than normal ABS when limits are exceeded.

We discussed potential solutions. His belief is that there is NOTHING that can be done except to get an increasingly stiff suspension that is less likely to result in 1-wheel up or other conditions that allow wheels to spin at differing rates.

Not sure where to go from here, but figured I'd share these thoughts.

So, anyone else have 'ice mode' recently? Anyone thinking about how to fix?
2009 370Z #104
*For Sale*
travisjb is offline   Reply With Quote