View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #43 (permalink)
XwChriswX
WFLYIDNNE

Drives: 02 GDB WRX
XwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond repute

Vegitto - I started out just like you, when I was in HS and all, I wasn't really into modding cars. It kinda just grew on me... But I didn't have a 'male figure' around for most of my life growin up so I didn't have someone to teach me the ropes of turnin wrenches. So basically, once me and some of my buds were out, they had their cars and I just had a small truck, I wanted to get one too. So I went out and bought my Scion tC. It's not the greatest car in the world, and has about half the power of a Z. But it's also half the cost, and there are lots of parts out there that are cheap. This was my 'learning car'. Basically everything thats been done to it, I have done. And all the while trial and error and teaching myself as I go reading DIY's and info from people more experienced. I've:

Installed both a CAI and then switched to a SRI
Installed aftermarket 4-1 Headers
Installed aftermarket CBE
Installed strut tower bar
Replaced the entire stereo (Head unit, door speakers, installed subs)
Modded the Interior Lighting
Changed out the rear tail lights
A upgraded rotor/brake pad install

All of this I did and with little to no prior experience. But I learned how as I went. And now I'm moving up to the Z. I know alot more than when I started and I feel qualified to be able to work on such a nice car. Point of the story being, if you don't feel comfortable enough working on the Z right now. Try to find a nice 3 series BMW thats like 10-15 yrs old and turn some wrenches on things on it before you go face first into the Z. Granted BMW isn't as easy to mod everything, but it gives you an idea of the parts needed, and the process, and what things are more of a PITA than others. You'll learn as you go and before you know it, you'll have a very nicely done project car on your hands that you can be proud that it was YOU that made it what it is, not someone else you paid to who doesn't really care about how it comes out. (I mean they do because its their job, but not the same manner as you do being the owner... if that makes sense.) Hope this helps!

Bonnie - Stage 2, Audio build coming this fall!
R.I.P. Abby 3/29/10 - 3/30/14
XwChriswX is offline   Reply With Quote