View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #1008 (permalink)
stormcrow
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Nismo TT
stormcrow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Revell View Post
Hmmm...hopefully there can at least be a ballpark figure, then. Another question I had was how much boost can one run on an engine with 11 to 1 comp ratio on 91 octane pump gas before detonation becomes a problem? How much more can you run on 93 octane pump gas?
I feel that 450 to the wheel would be a "safe" number. I say this in quotes because, again, there is no real way to know. There are just far too many variables given that each engine is different. Every VQ37VHR (or any VQ for that matter...or any motor, truly) will react differently to the same stimuli. Your motor may have better tolerances than mine (as an example) and take the same power longer. Or it may be that you have a weak rod or bearing from the factory and the motor lets loose much more quickly. You just never know. But, for a calculated risk, I want no more than 450 to the wheel.

As far as 91 vs 93, there will be a significant difference in the ability to quell detonation. But, boost isn't the main factor when trying to keep detonation from being an issue...timing is more important. Also, keep in mind that more boost does not always equate more power. It depends on the efficiency range of the compressor used and what the IATs might be. IATs are very important in useful power and keeping detonation at bay. Most times, more boost = higher IATs.
stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote